Sunday 18 March 2012

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing the product?

Throughout the creation of my product I used a range of different hardware and software technologies in order to produce a professional looking, well-constructed magazine.
Firstly, I conducted a Photoshoot, using a Canon 55OD DSLR as I felt it was a very decent camera that gives high resolution photos, also I am most familiar with this camera as it was supplied by the school, therefore I was able to comfortably use and experiment with it. The fact this camera is digital is another helpful factor as I was able to take hundreds of photos and also check back over them, deleting those that seemed inappropriate to convey my magazines genre. I could then transfer the photos from the camera to my computer instantly, saving a lot of time. I used this camera when taking photos of my models against a white back drop, lit by interfit portrait photography lighting, in order to create the right amount of light for my photographs to appear professional and to ease the ability to cut them out on Photoshop. Another feature of this lighting was that it had trigger lighting, this means it was in sync with my camera, and therefore every time I took a photo, the lighting would flash also. This ensured my photos looked as clear and professional as possible. For this particular shoot I used an 18-55mm 4.6 aperture lens, ensuring I could capture each image in a variety of angles and sizes.
Once the photos were taken, I uploaded them to my computer. After deciding which photo’s I wanted to use on my magazine, I began to edit them. For this I used the programme Adobe Photoshop CS3. This piece of software allows users to edit, cut, change and even create images and graphics. I am quite advance with the use of this piece of software. One key feature of Photoshop is the feature of cutting out images from their background; without these it would have made my magazine appear less successful. There are a few ways you can do this, one way being the Magic Wand Tool, allowing you to attach a line to the outline of your image and then cut it out. However, I found this ineffective as my photos came out rough and bumpy, therefore decided to use Colour Range, which allows you to click on parts of the image you wish to erase and then reselect needed parts perfectly using the Mask tool. 
Another feature of Adobe Photoshop I used often was the Adjustment Layer option for photos, which I used to edit my photos further. In order to display my skills on Photoshop I also made the photos stand out from the page more by adjusting the contrast slightly. I also used it for saturation, highlighting, shadowing, hue, exposure and many other effects for photos. This was again, to ensure my photos were of the highest quality and also to highlight parts of the photo, such as my models dark clothing which made the pictures seem dull and clourless, therefore I had to tweak them to make my magazine more aesthetically pleasing, drawing in the readers attention. 
Popular sites such as Google, YouTube, Yahoo and Bing have all contributed to my knowledge of music magazines also, as I have: researched for information on particular companies; looked for inspiration on different angles and poses my models should experiment with during the photo shoot which helped me to conclude with a particular style for my magazine, I’ve found information on what the register of my article should be and so on. Lastly, Blogger has been the one of the biggest parts in the creation of my magazine, allowing me to show every stage of the production process, documenting the different stages and features I considered during the creation of my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment