Monday 23 January 2012

How does my media product represent particular social groups?

My music magazine ‘RAW’ is aimed primarily at heavy metal music fans. After closely studying my similar product research magazines, such as ‘Kerrang!’. I drew the conclusion that my target audience would be interested in artists with rebellious traits and characteristics. For example, I found that my target audience enjoyed reading about people such as Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold and Slipknot. This is because of their rebellious take on life and the consequential attitude shown in their music. These characters would be shown in magazines such as ‘Kerrang!’ with guns and covered in blood – signifying their rebellious and defiant personalities.
I wanted to make my magazine appeal to the same audience as ‘Kerrang!’ and those like it; because of this I chose to use a group of three people on my cover with one man who hides his face behind dark sunglasses, symbolising his ‘shady’ personality. They all have dark hair connoting their ‘dark-sides’. This will effortlessly appeal to my target audience as the dark colours used for their clothing (e.g. their popular metal-band t-shirts) and their facial expressions will reflect their characteristics, signifying they are dark, and interesting to read about.
I have tried to make my magazine appeal to an audience who listen to rock or heavy-metal music. I did this by using colours such as red, black and white as a general house style as I found it was quite a popular colour scheme; used in other rock magazines such as ‘Kerrang!’. The bold, striking fonts will also appeal to the metal community as it reflects the boldness and rebelliousness of the music genre and how indifferent the genre is in general.
I began my article with the sentence: “Anyone who hasn’t had the privilege of having listened to this next band’s talents, are really missing out!” This is because it will have an instant impact on my target audience if they are wondering whether or not it is worth it to read on. This type of language will stand out to them as they will have a sudden interest in who I am talking about. The general tone of my article is friendly and honest. This causes my target audience feel that the information they are reading is exclusive and makes them feel special as if they’re the first to read it. This tone also relates to my target audience as they will enjoy learning about the people behind the music and their true ways. This may also inspire my target audience to try and be more like them.
My cover models facial expressions are generally happy, however, Dan (the man in the photo) has a significantly less chirpy face as I intended for him to be the bands ‘bad boy’ which stereotypically attracts a lot of fans and causes them to want to read on. This also creates a mysterious appearance for my feature artists, helping to sell the article further as the target audience will feel curious about her and want to read on. My target audience will relate to my feature bands front cover picture as their stances show their attitudes towards each other; close and friendly. However on my double page spread they are more relaxed; showing the reader what the band are like ‘under the surface’, allowing the reader to understand who they truly are.
I wanted to portray my feature artists as bold and rebellious but also approachable. I wanted to achieve this in order to make my target audience feel admiration towards the new band but to also feel intrigued by their appearance. This means that my magazine aims to inspire young musicians or singers, making them want to read about a new band that have just made it big, as they will be able to look up to and idolise them.

No comments:

Post a Comment