Monday 23 April 2012

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

When I created my preliminary task, I had little knowledge on how to use a camera, how to edit images on Adobe Photoshop CS3 and generally I didn’t know a lot about magazines. 

When looking back at my front cover of “Your New-School News” magazine that I created, you can instantly see a lack of knowledge about magazine conventions and appalling ICT skills. My masthead doesn’t stand out at all, as it is about the same size as my main sell line. It is in different coloured fonts, therefore does not look correct but awkward. The actual name of my magazine also shows that I had not considered what might stand out and sound interesting to my target audience of school children and/or teachers. My page has an awkward coloured gradient which clashes with the picture and looks terrible; this will instantly make my magazine unappealing as the audiences eye will not be drawn to my magazine above other competition. Also there were barely any sell lines meaning audience would not pay for something which didn’t offer good value for money.

There is also no consistency of font, by looking at all the sell lines, all of them are different sizes, some are bold and wide, whereas some others are thin and small. Rather than displaying different skills in text editing, which was my intention, it made my magazine appear to be amateur and unplanned. As for the image, it suggests I was not aware of how to cut a photo out professionally using a colour range meaning I got a thing white line around some awkward places such as the hair. This makes my magazine appear amateurish as the cover model on a magazine would usually dominate the page and the sell lines would fit in around it. However in this case, my one sell line is placed underneath the image, which looks very unprofessional. For example: “How to avoid the wrath of teachers” is placed on top of my main image and is written in yellow, making it difficult to read. 

When looking at my contents page, it is clear I hadn’t considered a colour scheme. On the front cover, there are uses of blue, yellow, pink, black and white. Whereas, on the contents page, there is a use of black, three shades of green, pink, red, brown and white. Therefore, if audiences were given both pages separately, they would not be able to determine whether they were from the same magazine or not. Again, on my contents, it is filled with clashing colours; the fonts do not complement each other or stand out very well either, which makes the page appear unprofessional and unplanned. Also there is only one image, this would be disappoint or anger the target audience. This shows that the magazine is not worth its value as there is not enough content for the price, meaning my magazine would be severely unsuccessful in a professional market. 
Now, if we look at my finished music magazine, I have none of these issues. The texts on all pages, particularly my front cover, complement each other and fit together properly as I have tried to consistently use sharp, tight, bold fonts. This is because when studying my similar product research, I concluded that music magazines use bold fonts to conotate power and dominance and straight lettered text. It will also help to make my magazine stand out to its target audience, against other music magazines on the shelf. As for white spaces on my front cover, it is filled with sells lines, indicating to my target audience that it is good value for money. I have made my cover model a lot larger in this page, in order to dominate the space more, and to imply that this person is the most important feature in this issue. My main sell line is very different from the straight cut, jagged effect masthead I used, as I created it on Photoshop, making the red letters bold and easy to read.
My contents page is also looks much more professional, as I have split it up into different sections, with headings for each part, as well as smaller explanations to give more information. My target audience will look at this and possibly feel spoilt for choice as there is also a band index, displaying the different artists featured in my magazine. I added a Facebook and Twitter sign and a subscription option; appealing more to the younger audience, this shows I have really considered my target audience more when creating this magazine, and have thought about how to create more appeal about my magazine for them. Also, it is now clear that I am aware of how to use a colour range to professionally cut out images, to make my magazine seem more aesthetically pleasing and for the my main image to stand out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment